Friday, 12 November 2010

Shabu-shabu pork


(Photo borrowed from Wikipedia)

Have you heard of shabu-shabu before?
It is one of the traditional Japanese dishes similar to steam boat here in Brunei. In a boiling hot pot you put all sorts of vegetables, tofu, and most importantly very thin sliced meat, you can use pork or beef. The meat is so thin that you can see through it. You cook the meat for only a short time, you normally hold the meat with chopsticks and wave it a few times in the hot water then take it out to dip in either a soy/vinegar based dip or a sesame dip. Very healthy yummy dish.
Recently I discovered I can order shabu-shabu meat in Brunei. So off I went and placed an order (as they have to cut the meat specially for me I needed to go back and pick it up later) and brought 2kgs home.



(This was one of the 6 packets I brought home)

We weren't too optimistic as meat here can go either way, super good or average. But after our first shabu-shabu in Brunei, we were impressed. It was delicious! Now I am addicted to this cut of pork and have cooked many other Japanese dishes I couldn't cook before. Great to discover something new : )

No comments:

Post a Comment