Friday, 5 November 2010

International Day - School parade

We had another exciting day at Geckos. This time we celebrated International Day! Us Geckos children were invited to the JIS school parade. The school had a great atmosphere with teachers and students dressed up in the dress of the countries they are from. When we got to the parade area I was amazed by the number of students from Junior school.



Here are some of Oliver's friends dressed in their national costumes.









When Geckos turn came we all went up on the stage and I had the honour of reading out all the childrens names and their countries. When I got to Geckos in the morning there were only 7 names on the list so I thought it won't be a problems at all but by the time we went to the parade the list extended to 20 children! It was little bit tricky as I tried to introduce them in order instead of just reading out from the list. Well in the end I think I did an ok job (I hate hearing my voice through a microphone!!)



Here are our Geckos children on the stage. (As I was up at the front with the children, I couldn't take any photos of us lining up. Luckily I found Boel in the crowd and she kindly took some shots for me. Thank you so much for these great photos Boel!)



It was great experience being a part of an actual school event. After the parade we continued our celebration in the Geckos room with international food prepared by the parents. I made some mini meringues (New Zealand) and warabi mochi (Japan). There were many different kinds of food for us to try. It is so lovely we have such a diverse group of children at Geckos - we have children from Japan, New Zealand, Brunei Malaysia, Venezuela, Colombia, Australia, Singapore, Germany, Ireland, Kuwait, Pakistan, England, Wales, Canada, Russia, and more!!



My mini meringue turned out perfectly - crunchy outside chewy inside!



We all ate too much by the end of the session. I thoroughly enjoyed the whole experience and the children had a great time playing as usual. Thanks everyone.

1 comment:

  1. A lovely roundup of the day, Misuzu. Thank you. I know to check your blog after we have a special day at Geckos :)

    ReplyDelete