Friday, 12 March 2010

My local vege market

We get most of our groceries from Supasave (supermarket) plus I often use our local vege market to get fresh veges. It is just down the road from our place and they are very fresh and cheap. It doesn't sell any veges they don't grow locally, such as broccoli and cauliflower but has a wide variety of other vegetables.



I often buy potatoes, onions, carrots, eggplants, beans, radishes, goya, lady's fingers (okra), and other green Chinese vegetables. And we also buy freshly made tofu from there.



The ladies there are always friendly (but with my Malay the conversation doesn't go too far...but to be honest with you this is where I practice my Malay). Particularly this lady in the photo. She shows me how to pick fresh veges and is always honest with the weighing and pricing. I often wonder if she is getting the nice fresh ones for me, who she sells those older not nice ones to...



My vege lady!!

Here is what I got today (the purple root ones and pear looking one are for my amah so I don't know what they are called nor how to cook them).



All these for just $4!!

2 comments:

  1. I think the pear looking one is what we call choko in Australia. You have to peel it and then slice it and steam it. You should handle it with lots of salt because it has a really funny texture to your hands otherwise. My Nan used to eat them just steamed I think, the flavour is quite mild? But I use them to add to curries!
    http://wapedia.mobi/en/Chayote

    ReplyDelete
  2. wow they like you!!! everytime i go there its a different price.. but hey they are lovely there... and helpful too.. unlike supersave!!! x

    ReplyDelete