Thursday, 5 May 2011

Kodomo no hi (Children's/Boy's day)

Today May the 5th is a national holiday in Japan - Children's Day. It is to respect children's personalities and to celebrate their happiness. It is also known as Boy's Day (we have a girl's day on 3rd of March)

For this day families raise the carp-shaped koinobori flags one for each boy (or child) and display a Japanese doll (called Kintaro) and samurai helmets (Kabuto) at home.

This morning Oliver and I made paper Koinobori (carp/fish) and Kabuto together to celebrate the special day.

First, we cut lots of different coloured stars:



Then Oliver stuck them with glue - it was quite tricky but he did very well.



We coloured the origami Kabutos - a small one for his teddy bear and a big one for him.



He thought it was so funny his teddy gets a hat!





He didn't want to colour his one much but was very happy that they got matching ones!

Here is Oliver with his completed koinobori - he held onto it for a long time!



By the time we finished craft activities it was nearly lunch time. I made this special lunch for him - I was very happy to see him recognising what I made and to my surprise he ate them all! There was so much rice for a little boy!!





Happy Children's Day dearest Oliver. We ♡ you so much!

3 comments:

  1. Well done Oliver - he's pretty crafty-clever!
    Love the lunch, beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That was very cool. Oliver looked very happy. how did you make that lunch? love from Rory

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Rory
    To make the special lunch I had to cut carrots very thin and fry eggs very very thin using a special frying pan, Then using some scissors I carefully cut all the bits for the fish and a boy. Now Oliver is asking for "fish" every time he has a meal...
    Maybe we can make one together next time we are in NZ!

    ReplyDelete