The Commonwealth Games are held in India this year. The Governor General of New Zealand has been there to watch the games and is now on the way home. Instead of going straight back to NZ, he made an effort to stop by here in Brunei.
The New Zealand Association here in Brunei made a special effort to put a function on at the Empire yesterday.
We got there just in time for the GG to start his speech. In his speech I learned that in the last 20 years the Sultan of Brunei has visited NZ twice but this was the first GG visit to Brunei.
After the speech he came around and talked to everyone. Even to me!! We didn't get to talk to him long but he was sharing his experiences down in Darfield after the earthquake.
It was interesting to see so many new Kiwis at the function. I thought in a country this small plus not many supermarkets around, you would meet most of them very quickly. But there were lots and lots of new people (I think they are Kiwis??) Spending almost 7 years in NZ I feel like I am a part Kiwi and was very proud to be present at such an unusual occasion.
There are some articles on the Borneo Bulletin Online if you would like to read more about it.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment