Saturday, 26 November 2011

Washoku demonstration

To increase awareness in Japanese culture in Brunei a special event was organised by embassy of Japan. It was Washoku (Japanese food) lectures and demonstration.

The entrance was nicely decorated with some Origami crafts:







Some of the ladies were dressed in traditional Japanese outfits:



Yoshimi and Me!



Shirubi and Yoshimi;



I was supposed to be in one of these outfits but didn't have enough time to put them on, maybe next time...

Ms Fujita, who has been teaching how to cook Japanese food for over 20 years was invited. We learned the history of sushi and the emphasis of seasons on Japanese cooking. I didn't know Sushi was originally from South East Asia, and not actually from Japan. She also explained some of the traditional celebrations we have in Japan by showing us what sort of food we eat and why and how we celebrate them. Again I learned lots of new things!



Demonstration began:





Very nicely presented: (which is very important in Japanese cooking you know)



We got to taste a plate of nice sushi at the end of the lecture too : )

It was unique event and I hope there will be more coming. I love my culture and it is a great feeling that people are interested and enthusiastic about learning more about Japan!

No comments:

Post a Comment