Thursday, 26 August 2010

Obama?

At the very end of our Japanese holiday, mum, Oliver and I managed to visit my grandma who now lives in Nagoya with my uncle and aunty. She used to live by herself in Wakayama, which is a prefecture next to Osaka. Every holiday we visited. But a few years ago she moved to Nagoya as she is getting old and her legs are limiting her mobility.

We got on the train to Osaka then changed to a special rapid train to Nagoya. I made an arrangement to meet up with my very old friend Kylie from NZ (she lives in Tokyo) at Nagoya station. She used to go and visit my grandma in Wakayama when she could join us. So it was great to do a double catch up in the same location on the same day.



Kintetsu Express

I was expecting Nagoya would be much hotter than Osaka but to my surprise it felt much cooler. Mum and I were worried grandma might be struggling with the heat.

Well no need to worry - she was super genki!



She was so happy to see Oliver (last time she saw him was when he was only 3 months old). She was very excited and didn't stop talking.





By the time we got ourselves settled at my uncle's place it was already lunch time. There is a very nice Chinese restaurant near their house and whenever we visit grandma we have lunch there. I was very impressed by the amount of food you get for 1000yen ($16 Brunei) and it was soooo yummmy!!!!!



Mum and Kylie



My yummy food



Feed me mummy!!

The main conversation we had over lunch was "what is Oliver's full name??" I had to explain to grandma so many times but she just couldn't get the idea of having two middle names (we don't have middle names in Japan) plus she couldn't remember Rose as a family name.

When we got back to the house, I discovered grandma wasn't listening to my explanation AT ALL.
She was calling Oliver - O.B.A.M.A!! - His name is OLIVER!! Well... I can understand for an 87 year old an English name like Oliver is very unfamiliar and difficult to remember and Obama is already in her system as she watches the news everyday on TV.

She always makes us laugh!!

No comments:

Post a Comment