Friday, 22 June 2012

Grass at Japanese school

It is very unusual to have some green grass in the school yard in Japan. The main reasons for this is that the weather here is not very suitable for easy lawn grass to grow (4 seasons and having a rainy season) plus the maintenance fee is so high.

I visited my old primary school, where my nephew and nieces attend the other day. I was surprised to see this big patch of grass!



My sister told me that the Osaka City governor encouraged schools to have some more green patches and gave some grass for each school in Osaka to plant. Unfortunately they weren't given enough to cover the whole school yard... but I still think it's very nice and great for kids to run on actual grass :) They have a special after school activity class called "sibafu club" = "play on the grass club". My nephew Hinata belongs to it and is loving it so much!

No comments:

Post a Comment