Monday, 21 February 2011

National day craft

This coming Wednesday is National Day here in Brunei. I thought it would be nice to run a craft session with the kids at Geckos so I cut out some paper and took it to Geckos this morning.

The little ones loved sticking the pieces together with some glue and sticky tape to make their own Brunei flags!





Here is Oliver with his flag.



He looked very cute in his gumboots, carrying his suit case with his Brunei flag!!



When I was cutting the pieces for the flag I wondered what the Brunei flag means so I quickly Googled it. According to world flags 101 this is what it represents.

The coat of arms on the Brunei flag is a crescent (symbol of Islam) joined with a parasol (symbol of monarchy), with two gloves on both sides. Below the crescent is a ribbon. The crescent and ribbon have Arabic inscriptions which translate to "State of Brunei, Abode of peace" and "There is no deity but God, Muhammad is the messenger of God".

I learned something new.

No comments:

Post a Comment